Spring and summer are where gardens truly blossom and our favourite events take place. The RHS Chelsea Flower Show may not be taking place this year, we are lucky to have the technology to see the gardens virtually. Chelsea Flower Show is amongst the most popular of shows which is known worldwide to all the avid gardeners and we will definitely be joining in on the virtual show!
Seeing as quizzes have become a new hobby in households we thought we would create an ultimate gardening quiz to test your knowledge on all things horticulture to coincide with Chelsea Flower Show. Let’s see if you are a true gardening enthusiast, good luck!
1) Is Chelsea Flower Show is Britain’s largest flower show?
Hampton Court Palace is Britain’s largest flower show.
2) What year did the RHS lift the garden gnome ban?
The RHS lifted the ban on show's centenary year.
3) Which famous actress picked up her very own Elm tree sapling at the RHS Chelsea Flower Show last year in 2019?
she picked up her very own sapling from Hillier Gardens who launched their Re-elming The British Countryside campaign.
4) Who was the first lead presenter of Gardeners’ World?
Was the first-ever presenter of Gardeners’ World in 1969 until 1976.
5) Which tv presenter and gardener owns a garden in Herefordshire called Longmeadow?
Monty Don bought his house back in 1991 where the garden consisted of abandoned fields that were 2 acres long, with lots of TLC he was able to transform Longmeadow into a peaceful garden haven.
6) Which campaign encouraged Britain to use gardens, parks and sports grounds to grow vegetables during World War Two?
It was a hugely successful propaganda campaign that encouraged civilians to grow their own in order to reduce Britain's reliance on imports.
7) Where should you cut a plant in order to take a cutting?
You can take cuttings from both the root of the plant or node!
8) Old Man’s Beard and Traveller’s Joy are names for a variety of which flower?
The climbing plant used to beautify walls and arches in the garden.
9) How can you tell the age of a tree?
When a tree is cut, count all of its dark rings and you will know the tree’s age.
10) Which Royal participated in 2019’s RHS Chelsea Flower Show?
The garden was called Back to Nature and was created in partnership with landscape architects Andree Davies and Adam White.
11) The love apple is the original name for what?
The tomato was known to be an aphrodisiac.
12) What is the difference between a cactus and a succulent?
Succulents store water in their stems, roots and leaves which is exactly what a cactus does!
13) For how long can seeds remain dormant?
Seeds can remain dormant on earth for years, that is why sometimes you see plants pop out of nowhere.
14) The Major Oak, one of the most famous and most visited trees in England, is found in which forest?
The iconic tree is in the heart of Nottinghamshire’s stunning forests.
15) What kind of mower is named for its turning radius?
They have the capability to turn in a complete circle while staying in place.
Enjoyed this quiz? Share on social media with your gardening friends and let them know how you did. See if they can beat your score.